Sunday, December 14, 2014

QH: The Clock Evaluation

Pretty much everyone hates being evaluated. The evaluator sits in the back of the classroom with the classroom with a clipboard and furiously scribbles away, giving a heart-wrenching feeling to whatever educator stands in the front. We've all been at the receiving end of a scrutinizing evaluation and wondered, is the way we've been evaluated the most productive?



For a peer evaluation project I recently did, I did my best to take the negative aspects out of my evaluation by presenting it in a fun, useful way. As I took my notes, I tracked the amount of time that the educator spent on each activity. Then, to present my evaluation, I drew up a series of clocks that tracked each type of activity through a color code system. This method was both fun for me to create as well as being a helpful for the educator. We were both able to visually see how the class was broken up, leading to some meaningful discussions on time management and transitioning. Had I just given the teacher a series of number or letter grades, I could have shut down the teacher and any chance of reflection. While this method should by no means be the only way to evaluate, I hope it allows people a chance to think outside the box when it comes to evaluating. I've attached the template to blog so anyone could have a chance to try out this method. Enjoy!

Word & PDF: Clock Evaluation Template

Note: If the link is not working please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment